Reports To: Assistant Director – YouthLine Program
About the Organization: Lines for Life is a regional non-profit that is dedicated to preventing substance abuse and suicide. We offer help and hope to individuals and communities, and promote mental health for all. Our work addresses a spectrum of needs that include intervention, prevention, and advocacy. We educate, train, and advocate to prevent issues of substance abuse, mental illness, and thoughts of suicide from reaching crisis levels. But when a crisis arises or support is needed, we are available 24/7/365 to intervene with personalized help.
Position Summary: This position will assist with outreach, educational, and community activities for the YouthLine with a specific emphasis on the Somali youth related community in the Portland Metro Area. The Outreach Assistant will organize and facilitate community events and meetings, and when appropriate, assist with classroom presentations. The Outreach Assistant will be responsible for working directly with the Somali community to identify community specific challenges and help to create and implement sound and culturally appropriate actions towards building stronger relationships with Somali youth and their families.
Scope of Work:
- Identify and build relationships within the Somali community to help raise awareness around mental wellness, drug and alcohol abuse, and suicide, as well as the services offered by the YouthLine program. Establish rapport with youth in the community and in schools.
- Deliver YouthLine Peer Helper trainings with youth volunteers from the Somali community to provide youth with the tools and framework to assist peers in their schools and community.
- Facilitate regular meetings with community or after-school groups to work with youth from the Somali community.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of YouthLine outreach and trainings within the target population.
- Lead meetings with the Somali Community to discuss issues related to mental wellness, drug and alcohol abuse, and suicide with an emphasis on youth.
- Establish rapport with YouthLine crisis lines staff, volunteers, and callers.
- Assist in volunteer recruitment and retention for the YouthLine.
- Raise awareness of social media use, and assist in work associated with social media to inform the Somali Community and youth.
- Attend monthly meetings for the YouthLine.
- Mentor YouthLine peer helpers as requested.
- Demonstrate the culture of Lines for Life by modeling behavior that supports the goals and philosophies of Lines for Life.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Some college education in related field (Social Work, Counseling, Teaching, Education)
- Crisis Intervention Training
- Proficient with data base and MS Office computer environment
- Strong aptitude for networking with diverse groups of people
- Knowledge of the Somali culture
- Experience working with youth
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle stress
- Must have flexible shift availability to match coverage needs and teachers’ schedules
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.
Lines for Life is an equal opportunity employer.