Reports To: Assistant Director of YouthLine
Position Summary: This position will supervise and assist YouthLine Peer Helpers between the hours of 4 PM – 10 PM when the regular YouthLine staff are out of the office. Flexibility to work all days is preferred, but Mondays through Thursdays have the greatest need for coverage. The On-Call YouthLine CIS will also answer crisis and referral calls and texts with care and compassion primarily on the YouthLine, as well as on the other crisis lines as needed; and assist in YouthLine outreach and education programs focusing on social media, community partners, and schools.
- Demonstrate the culture of Lines for Life by modeling behavior that supports the goals and philosophies of Lines for Life and the YouthLine.
- Serve as an Crisis Intervention Specialist primarily for the YouthLine, a teen-to-teen crisis and help line.
- Support YouthLine volunteers answering calls and texts with compassion in accordance with Lines for Life’s training expectations and scope.
- Establish rapport with YouthLine volunteers and callers, and acts as a resource of knowledge and systems use for volunteers.
- Maintain YouthLine call procedures.
- Work independently in triaging calls so that the lines remain available for callers in escalated crisis.
- Identify available resources and partnership opportunities that support the efforts of the YouthLine.
- Participate in community outreach/education events and coordination of activities.
- Research social media outreach opportunities and work with YouthLine volunteers to maintain a social media presence.
- Attend monthly YouthLine staff meetings.
- Performs other duties, such as call center and light maintenance, and administrative and organizational tasks as needed.
- Master’s Degree or work towards Master’s in related social sciences field.
- Crisis Intervention Training.
- A minimum of two years of experience working with youth.
- Proficient with database and MS Office computer environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to mentor youth.
- Ability to handle stress.
- Must have flexible shift availability to match coverage needs.
Compensation: The starting salary for this position is $22.36/hr. for individuals with graduate degrees in a related field. Lines for Life also offers its part-time employees a generous paid time off package and the option to participate in a matching 401K retirement plan.
This job description is not meant to be an all inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company. Lines for Life is an equal opportunity employer.
Lived Experience: Lines for Life encourages individuals with lived experience to apply. This includes individuals who have undertaken their own recovery journey or supported someone through a recovery journey from mental health conditions, suicidal struggles, and/or substance abuse. They have the capacity to draw upon and use their own lived experiences to help others and prevent suicide and substance abuse and promote mental wellness.
EEO: Lines for Life strives to create a diverse, inclusive environment to better represent the communities that we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer.
All Lines for Life employees must be approved to work by the Oregon Department of Human Services’s Background Check Unit. Background checks are completed after a conditional offer of employment has been extended.