Reports To: Military Crisis Lines Shift Supervisor
Position Summary: This position answers calls on the Veteran’s Crisis Line and Military Helpline from active military members, veterans, and their families with care and compassion and within the scope of the military services program. This position also answers calls on Lines for Life’s other lines when the Military Services call volume is low. This position requires the ability to work five shifts a week and independently triage calls so that lines remain available for callers in escalated crisis.
- Demonstrate the culture of Lines for Life by modeling behavior that supports the organization’s
goals and philosophies.
• Answer all Veteran’s Crisis Line and other crisis line calls promptly with compassion and in accordance with Line for
Life’s training expectations and scope;
• Implement suicide/mental health crisis prevention strategies;
• Provide support for the identification of veterans at high risk and coordinates enhanced care;
• Conduct interviews and utilizes assessments tools to assess emotional, functional, and/or
• Complete structured diagnostic and clinical assessments;
• Work collaboratively with other Lines for Life staff to identify appropriate services to callers in
• Assist callers and their family/friend/significant other with issues regarding the patient’s mental
health issues, referrals, benefits, support groups, and;
• Create and submits call reports in a timely manner in accordance with program guidelines;
• Create and maintains information on relevant resources specific to the needs of military
members, veterans and their families in the Crisis Line database as supervisor requests;
• Attend mandatory trainings and workshops to remain knowledgeable about the latest policies
and protocols and equipped to apply crisis intervention tools & techniques.
• Perform other duties, such administrative and organizational tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a behavioral sciences field required.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to handle high levels of stress.
- Professionalism, punctuality and dependability.
- Proficient in web-based computer environment and multi-line phone system.
- Understanding of and ability to apply mental health assessment, treatment and service
- Able to implement skill development strategies and to identify, implement and coordinate the
services and supports identified in an Individual Service and Support Plan (ISSP).
- Able to work independently in triaging calls so that lines remain available for callers in escalated
- Veteran or military background and knowledge of the Veterans Administration
- Graduate degree in psychology; social work; or a behavioral science field
- ASIST certification and crisis intervention experience
- Experience in a call center environment
- This position requires the ability to regularly work Thursdays through Mondays between 07:45-16:15.
- This position requires the ability to work in the Portland office and it is expected that staff will work during their scheduled shifts in the event of inclement weather conditions.
- Work is primarily conducted in an office environment, but may require standing for long periods of time during trainings. This position requires high energy, patience and controlling one’s emotions, as well as the ability to think analytically.
Lines for Life offers great benefits including full coverage for employees’ health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability and life insurance. Full-time employees are also offered a free Fitbit as part of the Employee Wellness Program. Additional plans which employees may participate in include 401K and flexible spending plans, and gym access.
Lines for Life also has the ability to provide clinical supervision to staff working toward licensure, so we encourage you to apply!
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.
EEO: Lines for Life strives to create a diverse, inclusive environment to better represent the communities that we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer.