Reports to: President/CEO
About the Organization: Lines for Life is a regional non-profit that is dedicated to preventing substance abuse and suicide and promoting mental wellness. We offer help and hope to individuals and communities. Our work addresses a spectrum of needs that include intervention, prevention, and advocacy. We educate, train, and advocate to prevent issues of substance abuse, mental illness, and thoughts of suicide from reaching crisis levels. But when a crisis arises, or support is needed, we are available 24/7/365 to intervene with personalized help.
Position Summary: The Development Director serves on the Lines for Life leadership team and oversees the creation of a comprehensive development strategy and directs all phases of resource development including: major gifts, business partnerships and corporate giving, public and private grants, annual and planned giving, management of development budget, oversight of donor data base and limited special events.
Position reports to the President/CEO, but also works closely with the Board of Directors and collaborates with Lines for Life directors.
- Work with the President / CEO to set fund development goals for 2019-2021 within the first 6 months of being hired.
- Design short and long-term development plan with strategies to meet the budgeted resource needs of the organization.
- Implement the development plan through comprehensive strategies including, but not limited to, major donor solicitation, small donor development, direct mail, special events, grant research and solicitation (charitable foundations/trusts, corporations, and government) and planned giving.
- Plan and manage the acquisition and acknowledgement of small and major gifts.
- Manage donor and prospecting information and tracking systems including a comprehensive prospect and donor database.
- Use development analytics to understand the current and potential donors and evaluate the effectiveness of development strategies and communications.
- Oversee design and creation of fund development materials working with Communications Director, Creative Director, Grants Coordinator, and Events Coordinator.
- Collaborate with the CEO on Board recruitment using the asset mapping of the current Board of Directors to identify needs and opportunities.
- Train staff and Board members regarding appropriate resource development roles.
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance and Operations to develop, monitor and maintain the department budget.
- Represent Lines for Life with external constituents including media, partner organizations, donors and community leaders.
- Serve as a member of Lines for Life’s Leadership Team and supervise the Development team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 5+ years’ experience coordinating and/or directing fund development efforts.
- Knowledge and experience with all components of a comprehensive development program; record of success in prospecting and achieving donations, major gifts fund development and soliciting private and government grants, as well as experience with direct mail appeals, planned giving, and special events.
- Enthusiasm for Lines for Life’s mission and values and willingness to develop a wide breadth and depth of knowledge of all the services and programs at Lines for Life.
- Integrity and transparency.
- Tenacity and strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to complete risk assessments.
- Exceptional networking, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Excellent communications skills: oral, written, and graphic.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, organization, time management and decision-making skills; ability work effectively within tight time constraints.
- Ability to work independently but also as a member of the management team.
- Proven ability to convene and facilitate group activities.
- Ability to multi-task and function under high levels of stress.
- Job requires flexibility during peak times when hours often exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week and occasional evenings and weekends.
- Occasional travel will be required.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.
Lived Experience: Lines for Life encourages individuals with lived experience to apply. This includes individuals who have undertaken their own recovery journey or supported someone through a recovery journey from mental health conditions, suicidal struggles, and/or substance abuse. They have the capacity to draw upon and use their own lived experiences to help others and prevent suicide and substance abuse and promote mental wellness.
EEO: Lines for Life strives to create a diverse, inclusive environment to better represent the communities that we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer.