Position Title: On-Call Crisis Intervention Specialist
Reports To: Crisis Lines Shift Supervisor
About the Organization: Lines for Life is a regional non-profit that is dedicated to preventing substance abuse and suicide. We offer help and hope to individuals and communities, and promote mental health for all. Our work addresses a spectrum of needs that include intervention, prevention, and advocacy. We educate, train, and advocate to prevent issues of substance abuse, mental illness, and thoughts of suicide from reaching crisis levels. But when a crisis arises or support is needed, we are available 24/7/365 to intervene with personalized help.
Position Summary: Lines for Life is currently seeking On-Call Crisis Intervention Specialists to work in the crisis lines department while regular staff are out of the office or in training or when there is a sudden influx in call volume. This position will answer crisis and referral calls with compassion and act as a resource of knowledge for volunteers. This requires a flexible schedule, the ability to handle stressful environments, and the ability to work independently in triaging calls.
- Demonstrate the culture of Lines for Life by modeling behavior that supports the organization’s goals and philosophies.
- Answer calls on all of Lines for Life’s crisis lines and after-hours contract lines with compassion in accordance with the organization’s training expectations and scope.
- Document calls in an accurate and timely manner with the relevant clinical information.
- Place follow-up calls to clients as scheduled by the shift supervisor
- Assist with placing rescue calls as needed when other Crisis Lines staff are on acute calls requiring emergency assistance.
- Triage calls and collaborate with coworkers to manage call flow and ensure that the lines remain available for callers in escalated crisis.
- Complete mandatory trainings and workshops to remain knowledgeable about the latest policies and protocols and equipped to apply crisis intervention tools & techniques.
- Perform other duties, such administrative and organizational tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology; social work; or a behavioral science field.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to handle high levels of stress.
- Proficient in web-based computer environment and multi-line phone system.
- Understanding of and ability to apply mental health assessment, treatment and service terminology
- Able to implement skill development strategies and to identify, implement and coordinate the services and supports identified in an Individual Service and Support Plan (ISSP).
- Able to work independently in triaging calls so that lines remain available for callers in escalated crisis.
- Graduate degree in psychology; social work; or a behavioral science field.
- ASIST certification and crisis intervention experience.
- Experience in a call center environment.
- This position will work a variety of hours that could include day, swing and/or overnight shifts as well as weekends and holidays. On-Call staff must be available to work a minimum of 2 eight-hour shifts per week in order to stay up-to-date on crisis lines protocols, but more than 2 shifts per month are available to an employee.
- This position requires the ability to work in the Portland office and it is expected that staff will work during their scheduled shifts in the event of inclement weather conditions.
- Work is primarily conducted in an office environment, but may require standing for long periods of time during trainings. This position requires high energy, patience and controlling one’s emotions, as well as the ability to think analytically.
Lines for Life offers great benefits including full coverage for employees’ health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability and life insurance. Full-time employees are also offered a free Fitbit as part of the Employee Wellness Program. Additional plans which employees may participate in include 401K and flexible spending plans, and gym access.
Lines for Life also has the ability to provide clinical supervision to staff working toward licensure, so we encourage you to apply!
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.
EEO: Lines for Life strives to create a diverse, inclusive environment to better represent the communities that we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer.