Reports To: COO
Lines for Life is looking for a dynamic self-starter to guide delivery of our message and support our mission to prevent substance abuse and suicide.
The communications director will have substantial independence to set and implement a comprehensive communications strategy that reaches all traditional and new media platforms. The communications director will also work closely with the CEO, COO, and relevant staff as a communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
The successful candidate will be able to marshal the significant assets we have – including well-established branding, credibility with media and partners, and extremely compelling messages – to better position Lines for Life as the leading substance abuse and suicide prevention organization in the Pacific Northwest.
This position covers diverse terrain including, but not limited to, the following:
Strategy: Set and implement an organizational communications strategy in collaboration with the CEO, COO, development director, and others. Provide support and facilitation for an existing collaborative workgroup of other behavioral health nonprofit communications partners that are working to build a statewide strategic communications plan aimed at preventing youth suicide.
Writing: Write and edit compelling messaging for all aspects of our public relations, including promotion material, fundraising collateral, articles, website text. Conduct journalistic interviews with members and other stakeholders to develop quarterly newsletter.
Capacity building: Continue to build Lines for Life’s communications capacity, including provision of support and supervision for a growing internship and AmeriCorps VISTA program.
Social media: Implement and maintain a first-class social media strategy across all relevant platforms to support the Lines for Life mission, including outreach to clients and potential clients, development and fundraising, media relations, and thought leadership on mission-related topics including suicide prevention, substance abuse prevention, and mental health and wellness.
Media relations: Work closely with journalists throughout Oregon and beyond to further our work of suicide and substance abuse prevention by ensuring excellent media coverage of issues of importance to Lines for Life. Manage relationships with media to ensure Lines for Life maintains preeminence as a respected and credible voice on suicide and substance abuse prevention issues. Facilitate story development and placement on issues of importance to Lines for Life. Provide logistical support for a 2018 training for Oregon media representatives on how to responsibly report on suicide.
Advertising: Maintain eligibility for our Google Ads Grant and strengthen our use of the grant to achieve organization and project-specific goals. Work with leadership and individual project teams to meet advertising goals.
Website management: Collaborate with the creative director to ensure that our web presence meets and augments our overall communications strategy. Perform maintenance of Lines for Life’s website using the WordPress content management system. Regularly review and respond to web analytics.
Databases and content management systems: Learn and manage content delivery systems used at Lines for Life including Constant Contact, WordPress, Hootsuite, etc.
- Set and implement Comprehensive Communications Strategy for Lines for Life, working closely with the CEO, COO and Development Director.
- Write and edit messaging materials for all aspects of Lines for Life, from development and fundraising to outreach for prevention and crisis line activities.
- Develop and implement public awareness and advertising campaigns to promote LFL services.
- Facilitate conversations and collaborations across the organization to ensure a consistent and cohesive approach to all communication efforts
- Write and develop marketing material (including, but not limited to: brochures, press releases, newsletter articles, public service announcements, and other written collateral materials).
- Direct media relations, manage relationships with local and national media, respond to media requests.
- Create media interest in emerging issues and coordinate media opportunities for staff.
- Enhance and manage LFL website content.
- Expand LFL social media presence and develop and implement comprehensive social media strategy.
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, journalism, marketing, or a related communications field
- At least five years of communications, media and/or public relations experience
- Project management experience strongly preferred
- Motivated self-starter; able to work independently
- Ability to collaboratively set project deadlines and keep team members informed about the impacts of shifting priorities
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, journalistic style
- Experience serving as a spokesperson
- Experience designing and implementing a social media strategy
- Knowledge of how to upload content to websites; knowledge of computer software
- Ability to work in team environment and to prioritize and balance work required by different directors
- Ability to handle high pressure situations and meet deadlines
- Job requires flexibility and on-call availability which may exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week and occasional weekends.
- Occasional travel, evenings, weekend or holidays may be required.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities,but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.
Lived Experience: Lines for Life encourages individuals with lived experience to apply. This includes individuals who have undertaken their own recovery journey or supported someone through a recovery journey from mental health conditions, suicidal struggles, and/or substance abuse. They have the capacity to draw upon and use their own lived experiences to help others and prevent suicide and substance abuse and promote mental wellness.
EEO: Lines for Life strives to create a diverse, inclusive environment to better represent the communities that we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer.